Exploring the Majestic and Historic Spiš Castle (Spišský hrad) in Slovakia

Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Whether restored or in ruins, medieval castles dominate Europe's diverse landscapes. Castle visits are popular and what I find so interesting is the Spis Castle in Slovakia. Thanks to my father in law who has taken me and my husband in the village of Zehra where the majestic castle is situated. 
It is truly a wonderful experience climbing up to find out what lies inside the castle, take a lot of photos and enjoy the view on a bright sun shiny day. Since I cannot understand Slovak language, I explored the interior accompanied by an English audio guide that tells important facts about the castle. I think my father in law paid 10,00 € for the use of the audio guide. Admission costs 5,00 € per head (adults).  
Within Spis Castle complex, we found medieval arms, exhibitions on the history of the castle and armours. 
It is well worth the effort to go up the tower of Spis Castle. There, you will find stunning view of surrounding places. 
Here are other photos that I have taken inside the castle.
Spis Castle was included in the UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural OrganizationWorld Heritage List in 1993.
If it took us almost an hour to go up, it was fast going down the same path. I really enjoyed this trip that I even checked interesting facts about the castle when we got back to the Czech Republic. I have learned that it was featured in some films like "Dragon Heart"and "The Last Legion." Traveling around Kosice, Slovakia is an awesome experience and my visit to Spis Castle is wonderful. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment